Thursday, May 7, 2015

Roasted Jalapeno Hummus

I could eat Mediterranean food on a daily basis, and not feel bad AT ALL because it is super healthy! Everyone knows the benefits of this type of eating right? A true Mediterranean diet consists mainly of fruits and vegetables, seafood, olive oil, hearty grains, ~ foods that help fight against heart disease, certain cancers, and diabetes. This doesn't mean eat GYROS all day, (darn.....) but I digress...

Basically, I have had my fair share of hummus, and I have my favorites for sure! I finally decided to make some of my own and see if I could spice it up AND make it even healthier!! So today I went searching for a basic hummus recipe and of course added my own twist and it was pretty delicious!! If you love cilantro, you are gonna love this!

Ingredients:
  • 
4-5 cloves garlic, skin on
  • 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, slightly drained
  • 2-3 jalapenos
  • 1/2 ripe avocado (optional)
  • 1 lemon & 1 lime, juiced

  • 1 tbsp cumin
  • 3/4 - 1 tsp sea salt (optional)
  • 3-4 Tbsp olive or avocado oil
  •  Handful fresh cilantro
  • 1/4 cup tahini  (this is optional as well, I don't use tahini in my hummus) 

Directions: 

  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
  2. Place garlic cloves with skin still on and whole jalapeños on a baking sheet. Drizzle garlic cloves with a small amount of oil of choice (avocado or olive are best) and roast for 15-18 minutes, flipping jalapeños once to ensure even roasting.
  3. Once done, remove from oven and set garlic aside.
  4. Wrap jalapeños in foil to steam for a few minutes. Then carefully peel away skin and remove seeds.
  5. Using a blender or food processor, add slightly drained chickpeas, oil, cilantro, avocado, salt, cumin, lime, lemon, roasted jalapeños (start with one and work your way up to desired spice level), tahini and peeled garlic cloves (you should be able to peel away the skin or just squeeze the garlic out).
  6. Blend until creamy and smooth, scraping down sides as needed. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
 Recipes yields about 8 quarter-cup servings.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment